Gerry Grant

Gerry Grant
On The Wheel

Tuesday 20 April 2021

Top tip! (for making large slab pots)

This is something I do a lot when making things in the pottery, and Gerry said today I should share this idea! 

When I am making a large slab pot I use a former to help support the sides.

I get a sturdy cardboard box and cover it with cling film. The box  becomes a template for sizing. Then I roll out the clay for the sides and bottom, allowing enough overlap for joining the seams.

I dry the clay out a little before sticking everything together. But what happens is that the box provides support for the sides and bottom.  

I leave the box in while putting patterns on.


When I have done this, I cut the box open and pull it out from the cling film, leaving the cling film behind. I then remove the cling film. 

I reinforce the seams on the inside at this point, using coils of clay slipped on.

And that's the pot finished....

No comments:

Post a Comment